David and Pauline Fulton bought The King’s Arms in 1994. At the time, they were the proprietors of The Imperial Hotel on King Street. They successfully ran both businesses for 14 years before selling The Imperial in 2008 to focus all their attention on The King’s.
David comes from a long line of hoteliers, and is the fourth generation of his family to own hotels in the town. His great grandfather, Samuel Solley, applied for a license for what was then The Globe on King Street in April 1920, and turned it into a first-class hotel with an adjoining public bar.
The business stayed in the family, and David Jnr purchased the same hotel- now called The Imperial -- with his father David Fulton Snr and mother Jean Fulton in 1980.
Pauline Fulton (nee McFadden) is the first of her family to enter the hotel trade, and has worked alongside David for over three decades.