David and Pauline Fulton bought The King’s Arms in XXX. At the time, they were the proprietors of The Imperial Hotel on King Street. They successfully ran both businesses for X years before selling The Imperial in X to focus all their attention on The King’s.
David comes from a long line of hoteliers, and is the fourth generation of his family to own hotels in the town. His great grandfather, Samuel Solley, applied for a license for what was then The Globe in April 1920, and turned it into a first-class hotel with an adjoining public bar. This is why, despite being rebranded “The Imperial Hotel Bar” many years ago, the people of Castle Douglas still refer to the pub as ‘Sam’s’.
The business stayed in the family, and David took over the running of the same hotel-- now called The Imperial -- from his father David Fulton Snr in xx. Check out some of the fantastic old photos from the 20s-50s in The King’s Arms Snug, and read more about the family’s hotel history here.
Pauline Fulton (nee McFadden) is the first of her family to enter the hotel trade, and has dedicated X years of her life to XX The King’s. Their four children have all helped out in the hotel in some capacity over the years.